26 September 2007

It Was So Soft

As most of you should know, I'm alive and I made it to NYC. After getting t JFK I headed over to Penn Station to meet Sayjal. We both lugged my stuff (and got pretty sweaty) over to Columbia and then I went to the Port Authority to take a bus to CT. On my way to the Port Authority somoneone commented on how "crazy" I was with a "mad blood red" backpack, so I either have some street cred, or I'm a target now. I mostly slept on the bus, which most likely made my neighbor uncomfortable because I kept leaning towards her. Oops. I actually got on the wrong bus, my friend told me specifically to get on an express bus. I grabbed a bus to New Haven pleased that it arrived in two hours, as my friend had told me it should take two hours. The driver kept yelling about a different "express bus," but I thought I was fine. As the bus was leaving I realized I was supposed to go to Hartford, not New Haven, but the driver let me stay on and I didn't even have to pay extra, it just took an extra hour and a half longer than it should have.
Connecticut was nice. Very forest-y. I stayed at my friend's house in Storrs which is where UConn lies. I saw some wild turkeys on Saturday morning. Then we headed toward Boston for a 16 year old girl's birthday. We had to go pick her up at the Perkins School for the Blind, which apparently, back in the day, is where Helen Keller went, and its one of the most famous Schools for the Blind in the country, that's what they told me, but I never heard of it. This girl was a friend of my friend's family, she had some brain swelling a couple of years back and lost her vision and had some neurological problems, it was sad. I met this other kid who was listening to sports scores on the internet, which was fascinating, and we talked about sports for awhile. Then we went to eat at a Mexican Restaurant called Margaritas.
Margaritas sucks. I could have gone for a burrito, but instead I went for something safe, Chile Verde. I got like 2 chunks of pork in the plate and 3/4 of a plate of rice and beans. I also ordered a Mojito, they were "new" and it wasn't Monday so I restrained from the namesake of the restaurant. It also sucked, too much sugar, and the mint was wilting. The hardest part of the meal was this little 16 year old girl wanted to talk to me in Spanish, which I could use the practice with, so I spoke to her in Spanish, but she was hitting on me saying things like "eres perfecto" followed up with things like "do you know what I mean by that?" and giggling. She also asked about how to know if a boy is flirting with you, it was all very awkward and made me very uncomfortable. The meal took like 3 hours, it was agonizing to have to go through that the entire time, but we were in the area for like 4 and a half hours, at the school and all.
We headed back to Storrs, and went to my friend's mom's friend's (its a doozy I know) birthday party. The hosts were Puerto Rican and they had some of the most delicious pork I've had in my life. I was so full, but I couldn't stop eating it, it was so good. The strangest part about this party was it was a kind of Great Gatsby-esque 40s themed party, everyone wore hats and dresses, except for me and my friend and family. There was also kind of a Spanish/Latino Fetish going on with some people. People there heard about "Raul from California" being there and really wanted to meet me. This one guy said he had always wished his name was Raul, but it wouldn't go with his last name, Blakbad, or something. He had spent 13 years in Spain and even looked like he was Spanish with slicked back silver hair a fine mustache and beard, a long fingernails to play Spanish guitar. I had heard of "yellow fever," but I never met people that were so into Spanish culture, it was kind of strange.
The next day I got me a sleeping bag to sleep in back in the city and headed back, made it to Columbia and have been looking for a place to live ever since. I'm looking at a few places today, I already saw a couple of places, some good some bad. I really just want a place where I can finally unpack some things. I've never wanted to unpack as badly as I do now. The welcoming event was pointless, although I did get a free 30 day unlimited metro pass, sweet. Last night was my first training session. I've been sleeping on the hardwood floor here, which isn't terrible, but Sayjal was gone for the night and said I could sleep in her bed last night, it was so soft.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what she said

Anonymous said...

Great work.