01 October 2007

1st Day in School

So today was my first day student teaching. This week, technically, I'm only supposed to be "observing" and that is mostly what I did today. I slacked in jumping right in and getting the 4th grade class, since I do want to do a little more writing, so I ended up with Sra. Alvarado and her Dual Language classes. Bilingual Ed. works a couple of different ways here; Dual Language the program I'm observing is taught with two classes switching between two teachers. 1 class is more proficient in English the other more in Spanish, one teacher does all English, the other all Spanish. Sra. Alvarado does all Spanish. I think, for myself at least, I'd rather do Transitional Bilingual Ed. where kids start out younger with like 75% Spanish and continue on through school with less Spanish and more English across all their subjects, but we'll see what's available when I actually begin my job search. The main critique I have of the Dual Language Program I observed was I think that its a bit too much movement for 2nd graders, they are moving every hour to hour and a half, and I think they need to just sit down and settle for a couple of hours, maybe the teachers could rotate, or alternate days, these kids definitely need to settle.
I've been reading a bit about "classroom management" in the books the program provided for us, but Sra. Alvarado needs a little bit of that. Kids need to know that they don't talk when she talks, or during a test. They were all chatting away all through they're math test, I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but that just won't fly when I get my class. I think there needs to be a little more consistency too, at times she just let them talk away, others she called them out. I think coming in mid-year I'm going to have to establish some rules and stick to them, and then maybe ease up and start to smile and laugh a little later on. I do have to admit that it was one of the cutest things when I heard "yay!"s when the students heard I would be around for a whole month, but I'm not gonna let that phase me. I have to do a reading lesson next Tuesday, and they are going to listen; I'm not going to be reading for no reason. I have some ideas to engage them and ask questions though, but we'll see how well it works.
I was a little disappointed by the recess situation they only get recess with their lunch, nothing else. I was hoping for some Red Rover action, but I'll live. The scary part about lunch was when they were released out into the yard a large contingency of students headed for the fence where street vendors sold them icees, snow cones, popsicles, hot dogs, etc. I realize this is an urban city, but I can only imagine what would have happened if some creep was selling stuff to kids through the fence in my elementary school yard. It's going to be a lot different from my experience though.
Well I'm exhausted and have to wake up early again tomorrow to do it all again.

No comments: