07 October 2007

Grapes, the Important Things in Life, and School

In the interest of food, let me say this. I seem to have lost touch with grapes the past year or so, and today I rekindled a romance with them today, they are delicious. Do yourself a favor and have some delicious grapes.

I've found the important things in life now (in no particular order): a liquor store that carries
Bushmills, a fine grocery store, a laundromat steps from my apt, a coffee place steps from my apt, a place with a decent burrito (though very little meat) around the corner, a place with pozole, and the fire escape to sip cocktails on. The view is quite nice:

School went well for my 1st week. I hate tattle-tails, but it reminded me of a good way my 2nd grade teacher dealt with them, the gripe box. There were no tattles, you had to write them down (good practice for writing), which discouraged some because most kids don't think their tattles are important enough to write down, and you don't have to deal with it till the end of the day. That's definitely going to be implemented in my class if I teach kids that young.

Some of the best things that happened were 1. helping the kid who is the farthest behind read a book and then seeing him run to the teacher and exclaim that he read me a book. And 2. Getting this note from a little girl about halfway through the week, you may notice there is even a little ponytail/bun on the stick figure, how cute is that?

















This week I'm getting evaluated on a reading in front of the class. I had to come up with 2 Goals for the class I will have once I officially started. Our Fellow Adviser told us about it for a week, but of course I gave myself 2 hrs (oh time management skills), but she was quite happy with what I came up with. I just want to get my kids writing, it'll help them out in everything they do, so I said I would create a Hollywood Board (to incorporate where I'm from, CA) into the class and have the kids write reviews of movies, tv, and music. It was a little more in depth than that, of course, but thats the basic gist of it. Well this week is shortened with tomorrow off, which is nice, but I'm already 1/3 of the way through training which is kind of scary, 2/3 more and I should be a teacher in a classroom.

1 comment:

hillary b said...

Why do your students only have Engrish stationary?